No one said jobs had to be boring. People spend one-third of their time at work. That’s more time spent at work than any other activity, except for maybe sleep. The last thing a person needs is for one-third of their life to be boring and full of stress. Of course, some jobs will be more tedious than others. But there are ways you can make the best of your time at work, and you should fully utilize them.
Here are some ways that can bring joy to your time at work:
- A fun and attractive office. Whether it is fun and attractive wall paint colors, wall art, or pleasing furniture, these things can make a boring workspace more fun and appealing.
- Plants in the workspace bring life to the space. If your work space allows it, have some plants or flowers in the space. There are a variety of indoor plants that require little to no direct sunlight and are easy to care for. Plants are known to improve mental health.
- A relaxation room. If possible, the workspace should incorporate a relaxation room. This could have books, art, recreation, etc. that employees can spend time with to unwind.
- Opportunities for employee get togethers. Socializing can reduce boredom. Employees should have opportunities to get together in the workplace to chat and socialize, whether it is a brief meeting such as in an office or hallway or a longer meeting such as at the office dining area or relaxation room. Management should not have a work-only policy and should encourage some free time throughout the workday.
- Cooperative and pleasant coworkers. Unpleasant or negative coworkers are known to increase other people’s stress and negative feelings. Having pleasant coworkers does the opposite and makes the workplace more appealing.
Use these tips to make the workplace more joyful and welcoming. If your company doesn’t utilize these practices, suggest them at the next office meeting.